folder size and device folder status don't match

MattRI

I have files shared on my local machine, and in the Folder tab I see 1.0TB in 242866 files.

When I look under the devices tab, I see that same shared folder on the remote device, but the status is U:250.9GB.

Should these match? If so, why don't they? If not, what does this mean?

Thanks!

Matt

"1.0TB in 242866 files" (on the Folders tab)

This indicates that 242866 files have been indexed by Sync in that folder, and the combined size of all those files is 1.0TB

"U:250.9GB" (on the Devices tab)

This indicates that 250.9GB of data remains to be (or is in the process of being) uploaded from the folder

...so the two labels relate to very different things. Once a folder is in sync across devices, you can expect the corresponding label on the Folders tab on all devices to show "1.0TB in 242866 files", and on the Devices tab on each device "Synced on xx/xx/xx xx:xx:xx" (where "x" denotes the date/time that syncing was completed)

If some devices report a different size/file count on the Folders tab it's likely that some files/folders are being excluded from that folder via .SyncIgnore, or that Sync can't currently access all the files within the folder (i.e. they are presently open/in use/locked by another process/application)

If the Devices tab constantly shows a fixed "U:250.9GB" label (and the 250.9 number doesn't decrease), this indicates that Sync is currently unable to upload all the data within the folder (most likely because the files in question are presently open/in use/locked by another process/application. After closing these files in other applications, or the other applications themselves, Sync should then be able to continue transferring data, and you should see the "U:250.9GB" number steadily decrease.

I've noticed that many files are logged as "skipping file... with bad timestamp". Might this account for the discrepancy in file count?

It may well do! Check that the system time on all your devices is correct, because if one or more device's time is incorrect, this could lead to a "bad timestamp" message in the log when Sync encounters a file which has a timestamp seemingly in the future. Also, as I mentioned previously, ensure that the files in question aren't currently open/in use/locked by another process.

I'm open to suggestions on how to deal with this, but I realize it's getting off topic.

Assuming you're on Windows, a quick Google search reveals this tool (note, I have not tested this myself, and I'm sure other such tools are available also). If you're using Linux you can just "touch" the files to update their last modified date.