First of all, wow. This is amazing!

Brilliant drop box alternative for groups needing share GBs of data without spending hundrerds of dollars. As a bonus on a local network this is many times faster than drop box too! I will be recommending this to everyone.

Going to try this as soon as I get home, but couldn't find anthing in the FAQ so posting here.

My only concern is traffic shaping, every time I try to use bit torrent at home during the day my speeds are trottled to virtually 0 by my ISP...

The homepage says transfers are encrypted does this mean that my ISP should not be able to identify the traffic as bit torrent?

Has anyone else had issues with traffic shaping?

Thanks

Any "traffic shaping" by your ISP will likely be based upon the total amount of data being sent/received in a given period on your account with your provider, rather than the type of traffic being sent/received. The purpose of "traffic shaping" is to ease traffic loads on ISP's networks to ensure that all customers receive a half-decent service during peak times, as such, it's far less important what the traffic is, just how much of it there is!

If you are encountering "traffic shaping" because of the additional traffic on your connection caused by using Sync, you should consider using the upload/download rate limit settings within Sync to limit the amount of traffic flowing in/out of Sync.

@GreatMarko In my experience this is not true. For example I regularly download many gigabytes of data from usenet at my full line speed. If I disable SSL the speed drops dramatically. Because the traffic shaping detects NNTP and throttles it. This is well known to many usenet users.

Same goes for regular bittorrent traffic - downloading at certain times and the speed is almost 0. Switch on a VPN so that everythings encrypted my ISP can't packet inspect and voila full speeds again :)

This has been my experience on both BT and virgin media.

Anyway, back to my original question if anyone is interested I tested this last night at home with bit torrent sync and speeds did not seem to be throttled.