Netbalancer reporting more traffic from btsync

JohnBonete

I'm a newbie. NetBalancer by SeriousBit is reporting an extra (about) 10KB/s of download and a little less than twice the upload rate that BitTorrent Sync reports for the process. Now I'm not downloading so I can't say if the extra grows when downloading.

All the traffic is reportes in "Remote IP" 0.0.0.0, remote port 0, TCP, Listening, Local IP 0.0.0.0, local port to the one set in the btsync app.

Does anyone know why is this and what it means?

I would appreciate any comments helping figure if this is a bad sign, or why the difference.

Thanks

post-31558-0-83300400-1376153530_thumb.p

• 3 weeks later...

It's likely that the rates reported by Sync itself and by external applications will differ.

For instance, upload/download rates shown in Sync relate to just that - upload/download rates, and NOT the total amount of traffic being sent/received. Remember, if you use the "Search LAN" or "DHT" options, for example, this will add more network traffic that won't be reflected in upload/download rates.

Thanks GreatMarko!

I tried turning off the Search LAN for all folders. DHT was already off. And, while it is not transmitting anything according to BTSync, I get a constant 10-30 KB/s upload rate (and a 1-10 down rate). If I pause synching, I get an up rate of approximately 3-9KB/s and a down rate <3KB/s

Thanks again GreatMarko. The responsible for most of the extra traffic seems to be the tracker option. Even disabling all of those options still gives a couple of KB/s upload rate, but no more than that without the tracker option. I'm still confused if this might be an issue with NetBalancer reporting, or some "local" traffic that doesn't leave my PC, because I wouldn't understand why the tracker connection would need nearly that much bandwidth. I'll probably try another program instead of Netbalancer to see what happens.

FWIW, the upload/download numbers the btsync reports are almost always inaccurate I've found, although you're talking about an "idle" situation aren't you? (not uploading/downloading anything).

We don't know the exact details of the protocol, but at a guess I'd say there's always some background "chatter" between peers, even if the message is just to say "Nothing has changed on this end, but I'm still here so let me know if anything happens on your end". How frequent that would occur I would have no idea.