"Up to date" running 1.0.*; possible bug?

Destigo

I'm finally making the switch from Dropbox to BitTorrent Sync today with the release of the iPhone app. I am very, very excited!

Since implmenting BitTorrent Sync, I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't get any folders to sync from my Windows desktop to my remote CentOS VPS. All ports appeared to be opened, but nothing would transfer from one to the other. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for weeks now, but today I found randomly saw a thread that said that BitTorrent Sync requires the same version in order to sync due to changes in the protocol.

This makes sense, but I had no idea that I wasn't running the latest and greatest on my Windows desktop because when I would manually check for updates from the "Preferences" tab, it would tell me that everything was up to date. By chance, I happened to notice that I was running 1.1.* on CentOS and 1.0.* on Windows. Bingo! Downloading the update manually fixed it.

If this function is designed to download the very latest version of the client, it was not working. But I realize it may also only check for an update from that particular iteration (i.e. 1.0.*). This was a little confusing, so I figured I'd share my experience in case anyone else has the same problem. Hopefully BitTorrent can enhance or fix this feature.