BitTorrent Sync installed, but does not launch on surface pro

johngalt

I installed BitTorrent Sync yesterday on my new Microsoft Surface Pro running 64 bit Windows 8 Professional. The install went along fine, but nothing happens when I open the program -- no error messages either. Although, I can see an entry for its corresponding exe in the Task Manager.  I have rebooted the machine, put the program in the start up and even removed from it to no avail.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Let me report a few things that I have tried:

1. Ran it under compatibility mode as windows xp sp3, windows 7, and even vista.

2. Ran it under lower 640x480 resolution

3. Ran it as administrator

4. Uninstalled and then reinstalled.

None of the above have worked so far.

I looked in the log file at AppData\Roaming\Bittorrent Sync and found the following error message prepended by a time stamp:

Can't write localization file. Error code 183

The complete log file which only contains the above message is attached as well (appended .txt extension to enable uploading).

sync.log.txt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been 1 month and 10 days since I posted my problem and in the mean time I have download other newer versions that have appeared on this site. However, nothing seems to have solved the problem.

I had emailed the support staff, and initially they engaged with me for a while asking me to submit the log file, inputting something in the log file, and then retesting. But, no resolution came from them. I have been waiting patiently, even bugging the support team every once in a while. I undertand that for a company there may be more important things to worry about than supporting a user through his problems. But, once you open a channel of communication to help users, it is expected that the company will follow through and respond in a reasonably timely manner. Otherwise, what is the point of letting users send an email to the support team if no one is going to follow up or even provide a we-give-up sort of answer.