Where Is Saved The Secret

davish2612

Hello!

I am new at forum. Hello everyone!

I have a question about the secret. I've been reading about this, but I will not just be clear that I expose this below.

I suppose if you can synchronize files between machines, the secret must be kept in an accessible area (bittorrent server host sync or something like that). If this were not so we could not synchronize files between machines that are on different networks (eg my home PC and my office).

Then. If the secret is stored on a remote machine, I understand that someone could access all my files, right?

The question may be somewhat contrived, but I very interested in the issue of security.

Thank you very much and I hope your answer.

Sorry but my english.

You could disallow access to the btsync instance you are running by either setting a login and password, or disable Web-UI access entirely - this is for server/Linux/Unix versions. The desktop versions can be configured in the same way if necessary, but usually do not have any web or remote access enabled by default, therefore the usual safeguarding on desktop computers applies.

It is my understanding, that the secret is not saved in clear text, but some sort of binary format in a database. However, if someone would get hold of these files, they could theoretically sync your data, but this brings us back to the same safeguarding mechanisms you would need to have in place anyways, such as strong pw etc.