Reinstall Without Re-Syncing Shared Folders?

dan761

I need to reinstall Windows (which will require reinstalling BT Sync) on a machine with a number of large BT Sync shared folders.  The drive with the shared folders is not the same as the OS drive, so none of the data will be modified or deleted.  Can the new installation of BT Sync detect that the existing shared folders are up to date or will it have to completely re-sync all the data in those shared folders?  If there is a way to avoid re-syncing all the shared folders, is there anything I need to do during the reinstall process to ensure that?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, this can be done, simply backup your %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder before re-installing Windows.

Once Windows is re-installed, perform a fresh install of Sync, and then with Sync not running, restore your previously backed-up %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder.

The next time you run Sync, all your previous Sync folders will be present in Sync! (assuming none of the original folder locations were lost during your re-installation of Windows)

Isn't it enough to simply add the folders to your freshly installed Windows/btsync and use the same private key as before?

Yes, you could also do this.

The method I outlined though would mean that you wouldn't have to manually remember/take note of which folders you were syncing and their respective secrets. Also, with the method I outlined, a re-index of each folder wouldn't be performed (which it would if you manually added a folder to a fresh install of Sync)

Yes, this can be done, simply backup your %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder before re-installing Windows.

Once Windows is re-installed, perform a fresh install of Sync, and then with Sync not running, restore your previously backed-up %AppData%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder.

The next time you run Sync, all your previous Sync folders will be present in Sync! (assuming none of the original folder locations were lost during your re-installation of Windows)

Excellent, thank you very much!