Does Bittorrent Sync Content Transfer Meet Hippa Security Requirements

aymanfadel

In the United States, the HIPPA law prohibits the exposure of privileged healthcare information.

Currently, online IT vendors rely on secure web site servers into which clients log in to upload and receive data.

I was wondering if I could replace this process using BitTorrent sync. In my company's application, users send to our server data, and our server generates reports the user then accesses. If I could get users to place the data into source folders on their PCs with destination folders on my company's server and then place my company's output reports into source folders on my company server with destination folders on my clients' PCs, I think it would be a cheap replacement for all of the hassle of the web interface for logging in, submitting data and retrieving data.

One issue is making sure the company meets HIPPA requirements. Where can I learn more about how secure a BitTorrent Sync transfer is?

Hey there.

To the current state of btsync I find it pretty useles to ask for this. It's still beta and not announced to be stable in the next view days. As soon as the product is stable, I have no doubt that the bittorrent guys will do anything they can to make it the most trustworthy they can. But until now there's absolutely no way to garantee that the the final product will meet any security requirement.

Btsync is completely owned and managed by the BitTorrent Inc.

I would suggest to contact them directly, because I expect you to need something like a certificate and review. And most likely that's something the BitTorrent Inc will sell to you as soon as they can (which relies on both, having a stable product and the required manpower).

Every other information, even made by bittorrent staff here, will most likely not suffice for any decission concerning legal issues.

Regards,

Stephan.