Native Support For Alternate Trackers In All Clients

frater

NeoXid created an alternate tracker which could be used instead of the servers of bittorrent.

I would like to use btsync to backup medical data, but the fact that currently the secret keys are handled by a foreign server I can't do this.

The current clients have to be either patched or misled by a firewall or dns.

It would be nice if the current clients get native support for alternate trackers. Preferably at a share level.

Does a url already exist for bittorrent sync keys?

It would be nice if the alternate tracker could be included...

Cheers

NeoXid created an alternate tracker which could be used instead of the servers of bittorrent. I would like to use btsync to backup medical data, but the fact that currently the secret keys are handled by a foreign server I can't do this. The current clients have to be either patched or misled by a firewall or dns. It would be nice if the current clients get native support for alternate trackers. Preferably at a share level. Does a url already exist for bittorrent sync keys? It would be nice if the alternate tracker could be included... Cheers

As lolcat said, the secret keys are not handled by an external server. A hash will be generated out of the secret key, which will be then used to announce the share at the tracker and search for other peers. Notice: sync.io does currently only support a private tracker server, you will still use the BitTorrent Sync Relay server for outgoing connections. (Means that if no direct connection can be established because of NAT, firewalls..., your data gets transfered over the relay server. Encrypted ofcourse)

I am still reverse engineering the relay server protocol and I've already made some success, although I don't have much time right now. As soon as this feature is finished, you could realize a private BTSync environment where BitTorrent Inc. isn't involved. But otherwise I will fully support your idea, tricking the client with DNS isnt that comfortable. (Although if your company uses Active Directory Services, it will be really easy to realize.)

It would be really nice to hear an opinion of a BTSync dev. Happy new year,

Regards

NeoXiD