Ios Sync And Editing Files

cfrancesca

I am trying to use BTSync to replace dropbox. It is set up just fine on my iPad 2 (with iOS 7) and my Mac, but I do lots of writing and editing of text files. So I need a way to add new text files and edit existing ones on my ipad and then resync them with my other machines. I can open my files in other apps, but I don't see a way to get them back into the BTSync file structure.

This seems to be the one functionality that none of the dropbox alternative sync systems have. Does it require a separate text editing app that will connect to the BTSync app? Is it just because Apple is a jerk and locks down its file system so hard?

If there is any way to set this up, I'd love to hear. If not, then please consider this as a feature request to add that functionality. I know I'm not going to be able to shake Dropbox until I find some app that will allow the edit and reupload. 

Thanks! Other than this snag for my own use, it works great, and I'm really glad to see a movement toward local personal clouds.

Hi cfrancesca,

Indeed, the complexity of working with documents and sharing them between apps grows from the iOS architecture, which forces every app to run in their private environment and restricts access to other apps environments.

In general, there is an ability to "Open in..." document in some text editor, edit and then save it back to BTSync. To do this, your text editor must support "Open In..." functionality. For example, Safari, default browser, can easily send document to any app installed in iOS which accepts documents - including BTSync. So, it depends on your text editor if it has an ability to send documents to other apps, or not.

Hello!

Yay! You've made me really happy! I can open a file from BTSync in Daedalus text editor, and then when I'm done, open in BTSync again, and it works brilliantly. I'd have saved myself a lot of frustration if I'd figured that out before. It sounds like a small feature, but if you want to use an ipad for writing without using dropbox, it's a huge deal!

Silly Apple. I wish it weren't such a closed, commercialized system. I may switch to android for that reason, but meanwhile at least, I can use my ipad the way I want!

Thanks!