Distributing Content To Users In Read-Only Mode

Renard

Hello,

I would like to know if using Bittorent Sync as basically a P2P CDN would be do-able. Keep in mind I have absolutely no experience with BTSync as of now.

The general idea is the following: I'm part of a small team producing song files for a free game similar to Stepmania. I would like to be able to push new songs to our userbase seamlessly (folder sync). While I wish for all selected/trusted contributors to be able to do the same, I do not want the userbase to impact the integrity of the project by altering the files and propagating modifications.

So far, we're using Owncloud for this. Users have accounts on a centralized server, which shares a common folder. Regular users have a read-only access, while content creators can write to it. Each time a contributor adds content to the folder, all users automatically download it, and the new song appear immediately in the game UI (as it scans the folder's content at boot).

As of now, this solution is far from optimal given the general unreliability of Owncloud. The latest update to the Windows client managed to wreak havoc on the server, with unwanted and silent random file deletions from people having write access.

Can Bittorent Sync be a solution to this use case?

Edited by Renard