Sync & Remove

RFinn

I was hoping for some input on a specific use case for BT Sync. 

I'm looking to use it to transfer some large files from one Windows 7 machine to another on a semi-frequent basis. Once the files are on the second machine they will be automatically scanned into a database program and the sync folder will become the file archive. 

My issue is that once transferred to the second machine, I no longer need them on the first machine eating up hard drive space. Can anyone think of a way to delete them from the first machine and have them stay on the second?

In a perfect world, a user on the second machine would just copy them out to a new folder, but the technical experience of the user on the second machine is incredibly low (like copying files is a foreign concept low). 

The three options I've come across so far are: 

1) Set a batch script on the second machine to automatically copy the files to a new folder and delete the contents of the sync folder periodically. Issues: Batch scripts mess up frequently and I would end up having to monitor this. Copying and deleting the folder could pull over partial files and create a mess.  

2)Update .Syncignore every time I transfer files. Issues: This would be time consuming and I'm not sure it would even work as .Syncignore doesn't work on already indexed files. 

3) Change sync_trash_ttl to essentially never delete the archive and use this as the file archive: If anything messes up there could be multiple versions of files in the archive throwing off the database.

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? 

• 2 weeks later...

@RFinn

Unfortunately there is no such functionality in BTSync now. It was mentioned in the Feature Request forum once or twice, but is not implemented yet.

So, for now the batch moving files out of sync folder looks to be the most optimal solution.