Syncing In Series

Turoab

Hello - I have the following use case with computer A, B and C (A and B are Windows computers and C is a mobile Android device):

Computer A (Full Access) syncs with B. (B’s Read-Only folder is folder-b )

I would like the folder-b of computer B to sync computer C.

Two Questions:

1. Looks like it is not possible for a Read-Only folder (folder-b ) to sync with another node using a different secret (rather than the Read-Only secret it's using with A). Is this correct?

2. What would happen if B shares its Read-Only secret with C? In this case, does C sync with B only (Read-Only mode) or C would sync with B and A (since it's the same secret)?

You can certainly add the android device © to that share. Just add it using the same read-only secret that you added to computer B. The whole point of BTsync is that you can have a (nearly) unlimited number of devices all sharing the same data using only secrets as the key. so:

Computer A: Full access key ASKJKDUJA.....ASIJUNAI - add this same secret to ANY number of devices you want to be able to add/modify files in the share.

Computer B&C (in your case): Read-only access key BKDJANFEKJNEG..KAJBNGEKJ - add this same secret to as many devices as you would like that should only have read level access to the share. Including Android/iOS. 

In the case above, ALL devices whether using full-access or read-only see the same files. And yes, all devices sync data with each other. Including read-only. One massive distributed distribution network. 

Well, you might have to figure out if it works for you, but you can do nested shares. I'm still not sure why you wouldn't want them all to sync with each other. It might help to know your exact use scenario.

Master Folder A (shared between A and B with secret, but WILL NOT sync sub-folder B )

-->Sub-folder A

-->Sub-folder B (shared between B and C with different secret )

-->Sub-folder C

The key is adding a .SyncIgnore exception in the master folder excluding sub-folder B. 

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/14936-test-ideanested-shares/page-3

Thanks nellie4568. In my use case, I have no control over node A (whereas B and C are mine). I can only sync in read-only mode with A. I can afford having my node B (a desktop) to sync with A. I have no issue my B and C nodes to sync in Read-Only mode to each other. The reason I do not want to C to sync with A is that C is a phone and, as I do not mind C to sync with B, I do not, however, want my phone ( C ) to sync constantly with A over internet considering the data to be synced in this case is over 20 GB.