Could Not Map Upnp Port

newcXL

Whenever I quit then restart btsync, it does not start syncing.  Also whenever my wireless connection disconnects and reconnects, btsync fails to sync. My log file shows the following errors:

[20140715 18:18:31.321] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20140715 18:18:36.315] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20140715 18:18:41.315] UPnP: Could not map UPnP Port on this pass, retrying.
[20140715 18:18:46.311] UPnP: Unable to map port 10.33.36.178:13936 with UPnP.

I am running Linux x64 Version 1.3.106

This only happens on the campus wireless network. I cannot change any of the network firewall or router settings. Are there options I can set within btsync or my computer to get it to sync again? I have tried turning on/off NAT UPnP port mapping and changing the listening port.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

@newcXL,

UPnP has nothing to do with DNS. The message you're seeing is due to Sync attempting to open a port on your firewall/router, and it being unable to i.e. your router denied the request.

Changing your DNS server setting will have no affect on which ports are open/closed/mapped on your router/firewall.

Basically, it sounds like your campus (like many) has a restrictive router/firewall which prevents the opening/mapping of random ports.

Thanks GreatMarko for the explaination.

I guess the only way around this is to ask the IT department to make an exception in the firewall rules.

Indeed! ...and it can be any unused port, you'll just then need to make sure that Sync is set to use that port each time, and not try to map a new random one on each run.