Folder Hierarchy Syncs Only Partially -- Unless In Subfolder

beadsland

I'm experimenting with Bittorrent Sync as a replacement for Allway Sync to keep hard drives used for storing user data synchronized between computers.  One is running 32-bit XP SP3, the other Vista.

I'm running 1.3.109 on both machines.  Apparently, support for XP stops at 1.3.109.  Meanwhile, the latest 1.4 version seemed never to complete on Vista.  (Is Vista even supported?  The download page has one link for XP, another for 7 and above.  No mention of Vista.)  After reading numerous posts here on the forum of folks going back to 1.3 after finding 1.4 not fully baked, I rolled back as well.

Running 1.3 on both machines, eventually both clients report fully synced for a file system consisting of 140Gb spread over 35,000 files.  However, if I then start up Allway Sync and analyze the status of the two drives, about 50 files under one folder hierarchy are shown to be on the XP machine but not on the Vista machine.  Just about everything else is confirmed by Allway Sync to now exist in both locations.

Thinking a simple rename trick would solve the problem, I created a subfolder, moved the effected folder into the subfolder, and let Bittorrent Sync sync up again.  I reran the analyze step in Allway Sync.  It showed that everything matched up between the two machines.

I then moved the problem folder back out of the subfolder, back to its original parent folder.  Let Bittorrent Sync do its thing again.  When Bittorrent Sync client on both sides said all was done, I again ran analyze step in Allway Sync.  

The same 50 or so files were shown on the XP machine but not on the Vista machine.  I spot checked several files Allway Sync was reporting as absent from the Vista machine, and they were indeed missing from where they were supposed to be.

I've repeated this process several times now, even after uninstalling and reinstalling clients on both machines, and upgrading and downgrading the client again on the Vista machine.  These 50 or so files refuse to sync if they are in their home path, but insinuate a subfolder into that path, and they sync fine.

For more detail, the folder in question is, on both machines:

D:\My Music\Music Artists

When under this path, 50 or so subfiles matching the pattern D:\My Music\Music Artists\*\*.* don't sync.  Note that it isn't all the files in this directory that don't sync.  There are nearly 200 files in the effected hierarchy.  All but 50 or so sync.  However, if I change this to:

D:\My Music\New Folder\Music Artists

the very same subfiles, now matching the pattern D:\My Music\New Folder\Music Artists\*\*.* do sync.  The ~200 files on the Vista end match the ~200 files on the XP end.

Yet, when I move Music Artists back down to:

D:\My Music\Music Artists

Again, some 50 or so files don't sync, but the rest of the files in the same folder hierarchy do.

I've combed the logs (on both machines).  Most of the effected filenames aren't even mentioned.   Ideas?

Edited by beadsland