Question About "folder_Rescan_Interval"

Ayala

I understand that I can delay the rescan time in the advanced settings, but its a bit unclear to me how this works. 

If this setting is set to "every 10 mins (600)" and I change or delete a file, does syncing start immediately and then checks again 10 mins later or is it scanning every 10 mins regardless of what changes I make?

I'd like to basically schedule syncing every 10-20 mins so that BTS will ignore what changes I make until that time comes.

TIA!! 

If this setting is set to "every 10 mins (600)" and I change or delete a file, does syncing start immediately and then checks again 10 mins later or is it scanning every 10 mins regardless of what changes I make?

It depends on your operating system. Where Sync receives real-time OS notifications that a file has been added/modified/removed, it will immediately Sync changes and not have to wait for the folder_rescan_interval to trigger.

On OS's which don't provide these system level notifications, Sync has no way of knowing when a file changes other than to rescan and check for itself, and therefore the "folder_rescan_interval" is a fallback or "fail-safe" if you will, which forces Sync to rescan every folder it's monitoring on a recurring interval to see if anything's changed since its last scan.

Therefore, If you're using an OS which generates real-time OS notifications when the file system changes, you can leave folder_rescan_interval at its default setting and your files will still sync in real-time.

If your OS doesn't generate real-time OS notifications when the file system changes, then Sync will rely on these recurring folder rescans to detect changes, and therefore you may wish to shorten this interval. However, be aware that each folder rescan consumes CPU cycles and increases disk access, so don't set it too low, otherwise your disk risks being constantly thrashed.

It depends on your operating system. Where Sync receives real-time OS notifications that a file has been added/modified/removed, it will immediately Sync changes and not have to wait for the folder_rescan_interval to trigger.

On OS's which don't provide these system level notifications, Sync has no way of knowing when a file changes other than to rescan and check for itself, and therefore the "folder_rescan_interval" is a fallback or "fail-safe" if you will, which forces Sync to rescan every folder it's monitoring on a recurring interval to see if anything's changed since its last scan.

Therefore, If you're using an OS which generates real-time OS notifications when the file system changes, you can leave folder_rescan_interval at its default setting and your files will still sync in real-time.

If your OS doesn't generate real-time OS notifications when the file system changes, then Sync will rely on these recurring folder rescans to detect changes, and therefore you may wish to shorten this interval. However, be aware that each folder rescan consumes CPU cycles and increases disk access, so don't set it too low, otherwise your disk risks being constantly thrashed.

Thank you for the informative response.

Is there any way to force BTS to not sync instantly on the OS's that *do support this?

I'm going to be syncing files on two Macs with Yosemite on them but also creating a backup on a WHS for redundancy. The thing i care about the most though is the syncing between the 2 macs. and I've had issues with files that sync immediately for instance files that are frequently altered of like my iTunes library where I might add a new album and syncing occurs before I've had a chance to clean up the metadata.

Thanks again!

The simplest thing is probably to select Pause Syncing from the Sync menu, then make your changes, and then un-pause it when you're done.

If you think about it, no matter what the rescan interval, there's always a chance that a rescan could occur immediately after you've made a change that you don't want to sync yet, so there is interval that could guarantee the behavior you seek.