2.0 And 1.4 Compatibility

vhanacek

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Roman,

I have finally got around to loading up one of my big (135Gb) folders as a third peer using a retired PC (Win7home 64bit, 6Gb Ram, i7 processor)  this machine is running 2.0.52 and is syncing a small folder from my main PC perfectly well.  However, when attempting to add this as peer #3 to the existing 1.4.110 sync across two PC's it fails.

I have copied the entire folder to this new machine and set up the R/W sync manually using the key from the 1.4.110 machine.  It gets going well enough, but indexes and syncs in seconds (where my other faster computers took hours to complete the initial index)  Status goes from indexing to nothing very quickly and the last synced message came up immediately as well - on this machine.  On the other two machines I am getting the dreaded 'out of sync' message as it has not actually synced to machine #3.  Interestingly, an update to a spreadsheet is correctly propagated across the two 1.4 machines, but ignored on the 2.0 one ??  I am not yet ready to go to 2.0 with my main machines, so I have stopped this little experiment for now and will continue with the two way syncs that seem to work well enough.

Points to note -

1.4 and 2.0: With a three way share it would be useful to understand what is synced and what is not - clearly in this scenario I started with two machines synced and the third one was not synced with the other two,  Some sort of indication as to which peer is and which peer is not synced would be extremely useful in the GUI.  

2.0: I will also repeat my request to reinstate the circle tick status of a fully synced machine please - having a blank space is not intuitive at all - especially when the last synced date is clearly wrong!

2.0: The colour guru seems to have gone missing again, as it is almost impossible to see the text 'indexing' in the status column unless it is highlighted - going from almost impossible to read to blank is disconcerting to say the least.  1.4 is far easier to read and understand.

That's it for now, I have not really had long enough to play to provide you with any more info, and I have no logs, sorry, after 24 hours trying I have given up and deleted the folder sync on machine #3

1.4 2.0: This raises another issue - in that I am now unable to remove the unwanted peer without reducing the #of days in the advanced settings - it would be useful to be able to remove peers immediately, as I am now having to wait until they go before knowing if I will lose the out of sync message which of course is now there because I have removed a recently added peer, so it cannot fully sync.  Yes, I could set it to zero, or one day, but what if my computer is off for a day?  I will lose ALL connections and have to start again.  (IMHO) This setting should be per folder, NOT for the whole app, but better still to be able to simply delete a no longer required peer manually.

That's it for now, keep up the good work,

Rgds,
Colin.