Expectations 1.4.111

Can I ask what I should expect in the way of stability and reliability of 1.4.x?

My setup is this :

1 x Raspberry Pi working as a hub (External 2tb disk)

1 x Android phone

1 x iPad

1 x iMac

1 x Macbook

1 x Mac Air

1 x Sony Viao

(All recycled but reliable computers.)

1 x Document folder (10gb General files, docs, images)

1 x Lightroom folder (200gb)

1 x Media folder (400gb)

1 x Share folder for friends (2gb)

The smaller document and share folders work well apart from occasionally deleting entire folder structures for no good reason. Which is nice.

The two larger folders are simply a pain. Forever out of sync, coming up with daft progress reports such as '7mb/s, 2mb left, 90% 15 years remaining', copying to '0 of 5 peers' or indexing for hours on end. I gave up months ago letting sync copy the larger files and generally use other methods to move these between machines.

I suppose one option would be to give v2 a go but slow, unreliable transfers have been present on the larger folders since the first 1.4 versions so I've no reason to suspect that it would be a huge improvement.

My understanding is that Sync was designed with larger files and file structures in mind but it seems that it's best at doing what Dropbox does.

My question is this, should I expect Sync to be able to reliably synchronise larger files and structures between machines or should I accept that it's great for smaller installations and leave it at that?

Well, first of all it's important to note that all 1.4.x versions carry a "beta" tag. There are some known issues with 1.4.x that have been resolved for 2.0, but haven't/won't be resolved for 1.4.x.

Given that you're only syncing a total of 4 folders (which falls within the 10 folder limit imposed by the "free" version of Sync 2.0) you might be worth checking out 2.0, as 1.4.x is no longer being actively developed.

Well, first of all it's important to note that all 1.4.x versions carry a "beta" tag. There are some known issues with 1.4.x that have been resolved for 2.0, but haven't/won't be resolved for 1.4.x.

Given that you're only syncing a total of 4 folders (which falls within the 10 folder limit imposed by the "free" version of Sync 2.0) you might be worth checking out 2.0, as 1.4.x is no longer being actively developed.

I wouldn't. At least we know where 1.4.111 stands. It'd be easy enough for them to pull the rug from under us again with 2.x. Take the bugs and product you know rather than mourn the ones you lost or may lose in the future.