Some Questions After Upgrading To 2.0

So I currently use Sync to copy all my photos between my laptop, my wife's laptop, and my "server" computer.  Have been using 1.4 and it's been working fine.

I just upgraded to 2.0 and have a couple questions.

1) I had been using all 3 of my computers as my computers so on the new ones I put in the long code so they are all listed as My devices.  I'm wondering if I should have done that or if they should be under their own identities.

2a) I now want to also use this as a sort of Backup system.  I added a folder to sync on my wife's laptop (Documents) and want to sync it to the Server computer.  As soon as I shared it from her laptop it showed up on the server and on my laptop.  I don't really want to see if on my laptop but I can't seem to remove it.  If I choose to remove it says it will remove it from all the computers which doesn't seem to be what I want either.  That leads me to the question up in #1.

2b) On the server computer, it automatically added the Documents folder but it coded it into the default location of BitTorrent Sync/Documents.  I don't want it in that folder but I can't seem to find any way to tell it to start syncing it to a different folder instead.  How do I tell the Server where I want it to store these files?

Thanks!

1) I had been using all 3 of my computers as my computers so on the new ones I put in the long code so they are all listed as My devices.  I'm wondering if I should have done that or if they should be under their own identities.

2a) I now want to also use this as a sort of Backup system.  I added a folder to sync on my wife's laptop (Documents) and want to sync it to the Server computer.  As soon as I shared it from her laptop it showed up on the server and on my laptop.  I don't really want to see if on my laptop but I can't seem to remove it.  If I choose to remove it says it will remove it from all the computers which doesn't seem to be what I want either.  That leads me to the question up in #1.

There are advantages and disadvantages to making a separate identity. First of all, if you add a share on one machine, it will be shown on all other Bittorrent Sync instances that use the same identity. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to sync all data, there are basically three states: (1) disconnected, which means that the share is not synced on that peer; (2) connected without sync all, this is selective sync (requires Pro); and (3) connected with sync all, which syncs all data in that share.

So, in your current set-up, you could disconnect your wife's share (but it should indeed not be removed, because it will remove the share on all BTSync instances that use the same identity). When it's disconnected, it should not be sync'ed.

Another possibility is to indeed create a separate identity for her. However, you'd also need to run an extra instance of Sync on the server to avoid running into the same situation (because with only one instance on the server, you would need to add your wife's share via a sharing link, and it would appear again on all Sync instances with your identity).

The identity system is less flexible than 1.4-style folders, but also has an advantage: you can configure a server or NAS to synchronize any new shares. This makes it much easier to quickly add/share folders without manually adding those to the NAS.

2b) On the server computer, it automatically added the Documents folder but it coded it into the default location of BitTorrent Sync/Documents.  I don't want it in that folder but I can't seem to find any way to tell it to start syncing it to a different folder instead.  How do I tell the Server where I want it to store these files?

You can just move/rename the folder and sync should pick it up. However, depending on the OS, there may be some caveats:

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1902066-can-i-move-or-rename-a-syncing-folder-?b_id=3895

OK, that helps.  So I think I'll just use 3 separate identitied to keep things nice and organized.

However, the Moving Folders thing may give me trouble.

I currently sync all our photos to a certian location on the C drive of the "server".  I just added another drive to that machine and want future syncing items to go to the D drive now.

I thought with 1.4 I could use the share link and then it would just ask me where I wanted to put it on the second machine.  Will it do that if I set them to use separate identities?  Or do I need to change the default folder to the D drive for new things and then add it in?

I'd think it'd be  much better if i coudl Right-Click on the share and choose an option like "Move sync folder to" or something to just manually say I want this folder to sync here and that folder to sync there.

I guess I'll have to play around with it a bit.

OK, I unlinked them all and did them separate and now it works back like how 1.4 did which is what I wanted.  I can now share a link and it asks me where I want to put those files on the second computer which is perfect.  I don't think I'll need the ability to add a folder and have it just go automatically so I shouldn't need them linked together.

Thanks!