Btsync.exe Started By Task Scheduler Fails To Show The Gui

jerouy

Hi BTSync,

Thanks for the great tool.

I don't know if this was reported before but I couldn't find any related post.

I wanted to start BTSync right after my PC(Windows7) turned on without having to loggin into my account.

I set up a Basic Task in Windows Task Scheduler, set the trigger as "At Startup" and set it "Run whether user is logged on or not".

So far everything works as expected: My PC turned on and I could see the peer is connected automatically without having to log on.

BUT, after I do log on into that PC, I found the BT Sync icon is missing from System Tray. By double-clicking the BT Sync shortcut on desktop, nothing happens -- the GUI simply doesn't open no matter what.

The only workaround I found is, go to Task Manager, find "BTSync.exe" process and manually kill it. Then double-click the shortcut and GUI appears. Obviously it is a very awkward way.

Is this anything you could look into?

Thanks in advance.

/Jeremy

Sync can't currently be natively installed & run as a Windows Service, however this thread may be of use.

Hi Marko,

Yes I have thought about running EXE as service but figured out it might not make sense with BTSync(or pretty much any Sync service).

Let me explain.

In short, I believe BTSync should sync with the basic unit of individual human being, rather than individual machine.

In my scenario, I have PC A and B at home which are used by my parents. They both have personal accounts on both PCs and both of them are using both PC A and B from time to time. I have setup BTSync on both of the PCs so that they sync files in this way:

• Mom's account on PC A syncs Mom's files with Mom's account on PC B
  • Dad's account on PC A syncs Dad's files with Dad's account on PC B

Note that on each PC there are actually two instances of BTSync.exe running, to sync two different set of files.

The point is, one machine could be used by multiple users, who would require their individual instances of BTSync to sync their own files.

With Windows Services I don't know if it is possible to do so because as far as I know a service could only run by one account.

But with my approach to run BTSync.exe in Task Scheduler specifying the user account, I could acheive the goal.

The only problem is GUI seems to be stuck and requires a manual termination.

If you guys could resolve this I think it's then perfect.

Does my explanation make sense to you?

Thanks,

/Jeremy