New Computer, Copied Folder, How To Sync Using Copied Folder?

(I've also contacted help about this, but it seems like a general enough issue that I'm also posting it to this forum)

I'm running v 2.0. I have several clients syncing the same directory with about 500 GB of data. I recently upgraded one machine (a Mac) and have coped the directory to that machine and stalled Sync. How do I tell the new instance of Sync to use the existing directory instead of re-syncing everything? I've tried putting the existing data in the default location (the same place it was on the old machine), but Sync creates a new folder with a "~1" suffix and starts syncing that from scratch.

Or do I have to start from scratch every time I upgrade computers? That would be a hassle.

The problem is that the syncing starts as soon as I link the new machine, even before I get a chance to use the "manual connection" method in preferences. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you change it to Disconnect, then it won't sync.  When do you switch it back to Sync?  When you've got the basic folder content manually copied over?  Never?  At what point does BT check and realize which files have the same last modified date (or whatever) and realize it doesn't have to do anything yet?

The Folder Sync Mode link doesn't really discuss how to seed the different PC's, just what each mode does.

I tried this (I just disconnected from the internet during the copy, I didn't switch to Disconnect), but when I looked at the original PC about an hour after reconnecting the target PC to the internet, the "originals" on the main PC were disappearing.  Before I realized what it was doing and aborted BitTorrent, I'd lost about 35gb of data (99% of which, thankfully, I had backups of) of 107gb..

I did try to to just connect two of the PC's and let everything sync "normally," but after 4 days only 48gb of 107gb had synced.  I have a 5mps data speed, but I also tried a wired peer-to-peer connect for a day with no change in the apparent transfer speed.  There has to be a way of manually seeding the target PC's so to avoid the initial sync time for large amounts of data.

Thank you!