Sync Several Windows Pc To One Pc ?

NicCo

Hi,

I have several "clients" PC with Windows OS (7 / 8.1 / 10) and I would like to sync some folders on each PC to one "server" PC with Windows 10. But I don't want to sync "clients" between them, only client to server. Is it possible ?

Also I would like to sync over LAN and over WAN, but if I'm connected to the LAN I would like to use LAN and not WAN. Is it possible also ?

Thank you !

You can create individual shared folders for each client.

But this means that you would have a folder for each client on your server. They would not be able to access the same folder.

BTS is by design that if you have multiple clients accessing the same share that they distribute the information amongst them.

If you give each client a read-only link they would not sync data between each other and also not to the server.

What are you trying to achieve, maybe if you explain it more I can better understand what advise is good for you.

Also anybody else feel free to correct me if I missed something or if you have better ideas :)

And yes, if you have clients on the same subnet in your LAN, BTS will transfer your data within the LAN and not through the internet.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

It's a good thing if clients are not able to access the same folder, I want to sync each client to separate folders. I will not modify any data on server so I don't need to sync server -> client, only client -> server. It's like a backup but it's not really a backup process ;)

Ok for LAN if clients are on the same subnet, is it true for 1.4 and 2.0 version ?

Thank you.

Not really since it's pretty straight forward.

Basically follow this article: http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1902074-is-one-way-synchronization-possible-?b_id=3895

That means that you basically create a read only share on your clients and then add them to the server.

Most of the usecases are either documented there or already asked for here in the forums. So it is always worth a search.

Well, I use 2.0 and I am quite happy with it - I use it on Windows, OS X, iOS and Linux.

I also was happy with 1.4 and it served my purpose very well so.. I think you just have to test it out and find out for yourself what you think is best for your needs.

So one client would need a pro license since it handles 10 folders per client. So in your case 50 folders that you have to add on your server. The server would need the pro license. The clients, as long as you stay under 10 shares you should be good.

But of course you could work something out in your design of the shares that you can handle one share for one client that contains 10 folders. If you know what I mean.

Thank you Moe one more time ;)

I'm going to search how can I do to have 1 share with 10 folders. I've tried symbolic link but BTSync seems to not accept it, do you have an idea ? I would like to sync profile Windows folders (My Music, My Documents, My Pictures...) and others folders on C:\ and D:\ root so I can't move them into one folder.

Thank you !

Yeah BitTorrent Sync does not support symlink following. So you are stuck with having to create a share for it.. But if anyone else has a better answer to this please help us out. But AFAIK there's nothing I can say about that.

Oh mhh.. also watch out when you try to sync C:/ root.. it's probably not working as you would expect.

What you can do to limit the amount of shares you want to sync is working with the .SyncIgnore file.

You can edit this file when you have BitTorrent Sync turned off and in there you can determine what kind of files or folder you want to sync with this specific share.

You can find more about how to work with the .SyncIgnore file at help.getsync.com or if you search for it here on the forums.

Ok, so for C:\ root I want to share only 1 or 2 folders, not Windows or others System folders. Same idea for D:\ root.

Thank you for idea with .SyncIgnore, I'm going to search more informations. Just 2 littles questions : is it supported with 1.4 and 2.0 version ? And are subfolders ignored if the parent folder is ignored ?

Thank you for idea with .SyncIgnore, I'm going to search more informations. Just 2 littles questions : is it supported with 1.4 and 2.0 version ? And are subfolders ignored if the parent folder is ignored ?

Yes and Yes.

You can be as specific as you want to be with the SyncIgnore file.

Lots of threads about it here on the forums. I bet you will find something