Initial Setup With Robocopy /mir - Lots In Archive And "can't Proceed Rename File"

EricM

Hi, 

I'm just setting up sync.  Two machines had identical data and a new machine had nothing.  There are an excessive number of files in the .sync/Archive/ folder and my debug log on one machine is full of entries.

This is all old project data.  It hasn't changed in years, so I'm not sure what happened between the robocopy and the start of BTSync.

My old backup routine used the following:

Robocopy {Machine 1} {Machine 2} /mir

I installed BTSync on each machine:

Machine 1 - Win2k8R2 running BTSync v 2.1.1 (65)(server)

Machine 2 - Win2k8R2 running BTSync v 2.1.1 (51)(server)

Machine 3 - Win7 running BTSync v 2.1.1 (65) 

Machine 1 created the folder which pointed to a bunch of SQL files (458GB).  It was added to Machine 2 (which had identical data) and Machine 3 (which had none).  Here are the contents of each machines .sync folder after they all reported to be in sync:

Machine 1: 2,917 Files, 259 folders, 50.6GB

Machine 2: 4 files, 12 folders, 50.0GB

Machine 3: 7 files, 10 folders, 72.1KB

One of the files in both Machine 1 and 2's .sync/Archives is a 50GB secondary data file (.ndf).  On Machine 1, I compared the MD5 file hash of the .ndf's with FCIV and they were indeed different.  I ran ChkDsk /x /r on Machine 1 and it reported no problems. 

That makes me nervous.

I did not have debug logging turned on at this point, but I quickly did afterwards.  Now on Machine 2 there are thousands of log entries for each {filename} in the folder:

[2015-08-11 14:35:11] FC[8671]: file updated - processing file \\?\J:\EricM\{fileName} t:1439240399 s:0 id:131072:382498[2015-08-11 14:35:11] RC[8671]: file updated - can't proceed rename for file "\\?\J:\EricM\{fileName}", t1:1439240399 t2:1439240399 s1:0 s2:0 p1:0 p2:0 

The log files from Machine 1 and 3 made no mention of any of the files.  I checked the permissions on Machine 2.  Users have no permissions to the drive, but the administrators group (that's me) owns the files and have full permissions (which are inherited from the drive root).  I was able to manually rename the file with no problems.

I made two posts instead of one because this particular sync folder:

• Uses plain vanilla folders with a simple permissions sets (Admin full control).  There are no junctions or any other NTFS advanced functionality in use.
  • The log file was filled with "can't proceed rename" entries.
  • Machine 3 had no data at the start:  only Machine 2 had a "robocopy /mir" set from Machine 1
  • None of the data has been edited or altered in 3+ years yet I have files in the Archive folder

Using WinDiff on Machine 1, the data folder and archive folder were compared:

08.12.2015-08.47.png

WinMerge choked on the 50GB .ndf file.  I used FCIV to compare the MD5 hash of both files and there was indeed a difference.  I checked the drives with ChkDsk and found no problems.  That was very concerning to me.

@EricM

We are trying to reproduce issue in our Lab. I'll keep you updated. Could you please also get the .log, .log.old, .journal files from both Machine 2 and Machine 3 and send it to me? It may reveal what happened in your environment.

Also, do I understand correctly, that the data you Sync is not being used by any app at the moment?

Correct, it is not being used by any app at the moment.  I needed to quickly re-purpose a machine and did not have time to do a SQL backup, so I grabbed everything (program/reporting and mdf/ndf/ldf data files) and dumped them to my machine.  The ldf log files were identical + 5 of the 50GB mdf/ndf files.  Only 1 50GB ndf was different.

I could not find instructions for submitting log files.  I did the "Contact Support/Send Log Files" function after the incident.  I have debug logging turned on and the log.old file starts with today's date.  I do have 19 journal files on this machine.  Just let me know how to send them and I will.

What about the can't rename entries in the log file?  

Edited by EricM

@EricM

Nothing special about these entries. Unfortunately logs do not contains info we are looking for. We still try to repro it in our lab, to see live how it happens.

BTW, can you share the huge file in archive and outside of archive that are different? If yes - I'll send you a special location for uploading big files.