Simply Sending A File

Haravikk

Okay, so Bittorrent Sync is great for synchronising folders across devices, but what I'd really like to do is simply send a file, anywhere on my system, to another person.

Is there a way to do this with Bittorrent Sync?

I know I can use a shared folder, but this means moving the file(s) to that folder whereas really I'd like to leave them where they are, plus if I were to remove the file from that folder, it could remove it from the recipient's copy of the folder on their end, if they didn't remove it themselves (though in this case they could end up receiving a second copy of the file).

Really what I'd like to do is pick a file on my system, and have Bittorrent Sync send it until the recipient has the entire file. How would I go about this?

Currently I'm using traditional torrents to do it, but this still requires me to observe when the user at the other end has switched to seeding, get them to contact me, or simply stop sharing after X amount of time. So it's still a bit fiddly for my liking.

no, Sync doesn't send/receive single files. Sync operates folders. So with it you indeed need to place a file to a syncing directory. Or just add the file's directory to Sync. 

With IgnoreList and Selective Sync feature (this one is Pro), you can achieve certain flexibility in transferring files.