Norton Suspiciously Detected A Program While Installing Bittorrent Sync (Syncshellextension86_A0.dll)

unit88888888

Hey all,

I've been using bit torrent sync for a while and today while installing it on a new computer that has Norton 360 on it, during the installation process of bit torrent sync, norton removed the following

syncshellextension86_a0.dll and the source file was bittorrent-sync_x64.exe. Did something piggy back on in? is this normal? and if this is normal, did norton remove something that will affect the usage of bittorrent sync?

Thanks!!

syncshellextension86_a0.dll and the source file was bittorrent-sync_x64.exe. Did something piggy back on in? is this normal? and if this is normal, did norton remove something that will affect the usage of bittorrent sync?

"syncshellextension86_xx.dll" is a component which enables Sync's Windows shell extensions - such as context menus when you right click on a folder in Windows (i.e. you'd normally see a "Share with BitTorrent Sync" link in the folder's context menu).

If you downloaded Sync from official sources (i.e. from getsync.com), then nothing should be "piggy backing" on the Sync install or on this .dll

You can view the VirusTotal analysis for the latest x64 version (Sync 2.2.7) here.... as you can see it's clean.

So if you downloaded Sync from an official source, then Norton is detecting a "false positive".

If Norton has quarantined or removed this dll, Sync should still function, but Windows shell extensions won't be available.

Hello Marko,

Okay so that .dll file which I mentioned is fine correct? It is a normal file created from Bit Torrent Sync.

And I downloaded it from: https://www.getsync.com/platforms/desktop and chose Windows 7 and above which is the same...I hope lol

All in all I should be fine then right?! I'm paranoid about these kinds of things.

Hello Marko,

Okay so that .dll file which I mentioned is fine correct? It is a normal file created from Bit Torrent Sync.

And I downloaded it from: https://www.getsync.com/platforms/desktop and chose Windows 7 and above which is the same...I hope lol

All in all I should be fine then right?! I'm paranoid about these kinds of things.

To answer that: yes. :)