Using Backups When You Have Multiple Devices With Same Folder Names

futile

Yesterday I finally decided to try out the Mobile Android App and see if I could understand what Backup is vs Sync. Seems like a great feature but I'm struggling with how to manage it with multiple devices.

I have a Pro license, and linked devices to one Identity....

One thing that struck me odd, when 'backing up' my Android Device to my Desktop Device was that it auto created a folder on my Desktop with the same name as the folder on my Android:

/sdcard/0/Download = c:/btsync/Download

I guess it was lucky I didn't already have a Sync with the same folder name, I'm not sure what would have happened.

At this point I decided to start from scratch, and disconnected that backup and this time didn't 'push' the backup to my Desktop device, and instead manually went over to the desktop device and Connected and choose the path "c:/btync/AndroidPhoneName/Download" manually.

It seemed like the only way you might keep Backups from multiple devices Organised. But its a shame that I can't now use the Push feature.

So I went to go and do the same with my Android Tablet, but then realized that I couldn't rename the "Title/Name" field in BTSync for Backups. So I'd end up with 2x "Download" entries, 2x DCIM etc.... and not knowing which is which. So I figured I'd come to the forums and see if I'm missing something.

I also confirmed that in the Mobile App I was unable to Rename/Customize the Backup "Title/Name" field (FolderName). I was a bit annoyed to see that DCIM was named "Camera Backup" and I couldn't change that.

Thoughts on Backup

After creating 6 separate Backups for the 6 folders on my Android I cared about, I realized that it didn't really feel right, and that it'd make more sense (to me at least) if you were to create a Backup and choose all the Folders you want in that Backup Job and then push that as a collection to the devices you wish. I believe this is more in line with what is typical in Backup software. I get that, if you wanted to backup some bits to one device and others to another it might introduce issues, but multiple Collections would simplify that to the point where you could have the granular approach you already have now.

It would probably help to visually split out Sync's and Backups in the UI to.

My Questions

1. Is there are a way to Rename the "Title/Name" of a Backup, it seems possible for Sync's?
  2. Is there a way to Rename the Title/Name of Backups on Mobile Devices?
  3. Is Backups likely to stay this way or will it eventually be treated/visualized differently to Sync's so easier to Organised?
  4. Is a Remote Delete and Disconnect feature likely to ever be implemented?

You can rename and move folders in Windows Explorer. Give them the names you'll distinguish, or move them to relevant subdirectories. Please note that if you move, Sync will follow it if moved within one letter drive. 

Sync itself doesn't give any names to folders, so what name the folder has in system, that name is in Sync UI. Thank you for your feedback and ideas about backup. They'll be seen and taken note of. 

To answer your questions: 

Is there a way to Rename... ? - in a file manager. both desktop and mobile

Is Backups likely to stay this way...? - Cannot answer. Of course some improvements/changes may take place. 

Is a Remote Delete and Disconnect feature likely to ever be implemented? - Not considered for the near future. Perhaps, later this will be revised. 

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I didn't realize the "Name" column was directly tied the the Folder Name and when changed, it actually changed the Folder itself. Makes total sense. I just tried it out on my phone and understand now.

I think what threw me off was the default Backup on Android being called "Camera backup", but actually being a folder called "DCIM" on the device. I'm guessing thats just a built in choice for the Android App to assist users.

I should beable to make it work for my multiple devices, if I go about the manual route I laid out. Honestly, I think the oddness only really comes up when doing "Backups" and not Sync, and given its a "Sync" tool first, I can't fault you guys.

Its seems unlikely that I might Sync 2 folders with the same name and different contents, but with Backup, it happens alot.. Windows with "Desktop", "Download" etc..., Android with "DCIM", "Download" etc... and in those cases (most of the time) you don't want the devices to Share (sync) the content, they should maintain their own.

As for dealing with Duplicate entries in the "Name" column, for now I'll just be careful and double check the "Path" column or click to see which device/peer the backup is coming from. I'll keep my fingers crossed a that some form of Visual Separation for Backups comes to help down the line.

Thanks again for answering my questions, and taking my suggestions on board.

futile,

Sorry, I was wrong - on Android you can and should rename sync folders right in Sync, click on 'i" icon and see a pencil icon near folder name, change the name here. One desktops - as I said, in a file manager. 

yes, we understand that if you backup folder with same name from one phone, they are indistinguishable on the phone. We'll see how to improve it. Thanks. At the same time on desktop you can specify a name like "DCIM Samsung" or "Downloads Sony" etc.