License Scenario

SadE54

Hi,

I plan to buy a license for Bt Sync pro but I'm not sure if a signe license is enough:
I have a server with a lot of pictures I want to share with a little group of friends. But each of these friend should be able to use selective sync in order to choose what he want to download or not.
If I get a license for the server and share its ID with my friends, is it ok , or each of my friend need a license (and in this case I would have to find another software) to be able to use pro features ?

So in general you are right with your assumption.

If your friends want to use selective sync to selectively download files on their machines they would need to have pro themselves.

It won't be of much use for you on the server (other than the perks of removing people from a share etc so it would be useful anyhow)

There is one way you could achieve it but I don't know if it is against EULA

@SadE54

In this case, you and all your friends are separate users and each need personal license.

But is there a distinction between business use and personal use ? 

Because I received another answer from Bittorrent.com :

"In depends on for what purposes do you wan to use Sync:

-If you want to use Sync for personal purpose you can buy a Personal Pro license which allows you apply it to different devices running Sync under different identities if you want to share separate folders for each device. Another way is to them under common identity in this case Pro license propagates to others and they can use selective sync feature on ther devices. 

-If you want to use Sync for bussiness purpose you have to buy a license per person according to EULA ->https://www.getsync.com/legal/eula

It's for a little non business use , so If I have to use one license per user , I will just switch to another solution without buying one license... 

The wording about the 10 identities:

If you have purchased an individual license for personal use, you can activate it on up to 10 devices running Sync under different certificates.

Source: http://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458195-Getting-Sync-PRO

Note that there is a 25% discount now wink.png:

https://twitter.com/BitTorrentSync/status/690382834096279553

To be honest, I don't think you will find a better solution if you want to move a lot of data. Most cloud solutions require each of you to pay $2-10 per month to share a non-trivial amount of data. And there is SyncThing, but it doesn't have selective sync (and its sharing model is node based and as a result quite annoying). Bittorrent Sync is currently the only good solution for peer to peer sharing and at ~26 Euro, it's quite a steal.