Selective Sync: Reverting To Placeholders With Read/write Access

AllenEllis

Hi,

How are you supposed to revert to placeholder files when you have read/write access?

I've read these documents and still have a question:

That last document indicates that you revert to placeholders by simply deleting the file, but then adds this oh-so-critical caveat:

If you have Read & Write access, deleting a placeholder removes it permanently from all peers.

That assumption will completely break my use case. How are you supposed to use this feature if you need read/write access?

I have lots of storage on my NAS but limited local storage. My plan is to store everything on the NAS and use Sync to sync any relevant folders while I work on them. After a project is done, I would like to remove it from local storage but obviously keep it on the NAS.

Is this something I need to hack my own solution and GUI for using the API? I really just need something as simple as Dropbox's implementation:

pMh2TTL.jpg

Thanks.

@AllenEllis

When your folder is synced selectively on desktop, each file can be in 2 states - a file and a placeholder. Deleting a file will only un-sync it from your current PC. Sync will shortly replace it with placeholder. Although, if you delete a placeholder, it indicates that you want to delete corresponding file from all other peers.

Alternatively, you can use Explorer extension: right-click on the file in Explorer and choose "Remove from this device" to revert it back to placeholder state.

Allen, thanks for posting this question, and Roman, thanks for the clarification.  I too was unclear about the two step deletion when Selective Sync automatically infers RW access.  This placeholder behavior is perfect for a folder of GB movies that consume precious space on my workstation's SSD.

Edited by B. Warren