Installing btsync from .deb packages

RMFlagg

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation:  I already have btsync installed on six computers and they are all syncing quite well.  I just *now* discovered that there are official .deb packages for Linux after installing all of the machines just using the .tar files.  I would like to install the .debs since it's easier to get the updates via the software managers.

Here is my question:  Since, the installed creates a btsync user or group(?), do I have to change a bunch of permissions or can I just continue syncing they way I have been?  Do I have to move a bunch of files to get it to work or can I just change my Startup Applications entry to point to the new install of btsync?

Sorry, but this new info is a bit confusing to me.

RMF

RMFlagg, Sync creates both group and user. You need to add your users to btsync group so they will get read-write permissions to downloaded files. Files downloaded from another peers will be created with 775 permissions, under btsync user and group.

Because Sync is already installed on your computer you've probably added some folders. You need to find storage folder location, where Sync stores settings. usually it is a ".sync" folder located near binary file, in current working directory or another folder specified in the config file. Sync from packages stores settings in the certain folder. You can point Sync to use existing settings if you edit /etc/btsync/config.json file and input your storage folder location in the "storage_path" parameter. If you don't know where your storage folder is located use this command to find it:

find / -name settings.dat.old

To start Sync you need to use this command:

sudo service btsync start

So you can change startup script, which you use to launch Sync.