Sync between devices

Guest Alexandr

Guest Alexandr

Is sync between devices (on the same computer) is planned?

I think this feature have been overseen by almost every cloud storage provider: Dropbox, Cubby, Aerofs, you name it.

thanks,

Alexandr.

The two useful bits from Dropbox et al. are backup and synchronization. The former is useful because the backup is offsite and presumed to be reliable. The latter is useful when there can be multiple sources of changes and simply to automate the process of multiple availability.

Neither of these features is present when there are two destinations attached to the same computer: there is no offsite, reliable backup, and there is no multiple availability. When both sets of files are attached to the same host, then there should only be one potential source for changes. With one change source, "synchronization" becomes merely backup, and any conventional backup tool will make sure that the second target always contains the latest copy of the first target.

What you are looking for is a backup product.

There are already plenty of great free programs out there to sync between local drives, I don't know if I'm allowed to name them on here, but you can just search google for 'file sync software'

Bittorrent sync is as the name says, a piece of software to keep multiple devices in sync with eachother

Syncing is not a backup, because if you delete a file from your computer, then it dissapears from the backup as well and you've lost that file. With backup software when you delete the file from your computer, it retains a copy of the file on the backup drive for X number of days, or forever if needed

There are already plenty of great free programs out there to sync between local drives, I don't know if I'm allowed to name them on here, but you can just search google for 'file sync software'

I don't think anyone would mind if you mentioned them here. What do you recommend for syncing between local drives? I could use that.