Use Sync as a 'cloud' backup? What happens if another computer is not on.

joew

I have an always on server on a fibre connection. I have 5 1tb drives and I am using 3 of them for files 2 for backup. Would like to move my backup off-site.

Can this service be used as a virtual cloud for backup? If so what happens if a file, or part of it, is synced on another's computer and they turn off the computer or remove themselves from the service?

Can this service be used as a virtual cloud for backup?

No, BitTorrent is only able to sync between online devices - it does not natively sync with any sort of "cloud" storage.

However, if you have a supported NAS drive, or an "always-on" WHS (Windows Home Server) for example, you can essentially create your own private "virtual cloud" with BitTorrent Sync

If so what happens if a file, or part of it, is synced on another's computer and they turn off the computer or remove themselves from the service?

If the computer is turned off the file won't sync with that device. If a folder is removed from BitTorrent Sync it will no longer sync (all files will still remain though - they won't be deleted from your computer when your remove a folder from BitTorrent Sync)

This is just a P2P service, if there's no computer on that has the file you're requesting, it won't be able to acquire said file.

However, this service doesn't require PCs to be on 24/7, when the program starts it'll ask any computers that are online for anything that's happened while they were down, then down the new data.

I misunderstood the service thanks for clarifying.

I misunderstood the service thanks for clarifying.

It's mainly useful for people who have people computers with at-least one on 24/7.

Like me, I have my laptop, two desktops, two HTPCs, two servers & two raspberry pis. My two servers are on 24/7, so, I sync to both of them from any device, then, they submit to all my other devices as and when they come online.

I do admit though, I've yet to set up my two desktops, HTPCs and raspberry pis to bittorrentsync, I'll probably not do it either until I feel more secure with it having my files, E.G. after a couple weeks use