Be aware of "secret shortening" services!

Hi All,

At least one website has recently popped up on the web (which won't be named) that advertises itself as a BitTorrent "secret shortening service", allowing you to supposedly enter your BitTorrent Sync "secret" and have it converted it into a shorter "link" you can then share with your friends.

Just as you wouldn't enter the pin number to your back account, or give away your email account's password, etc, on random web sites, you should NEVER enter your BitTorrent Sync secrets on any such site claiming to offer a "secret shortening" service!

I'm sure I'm no doubt preaching to the converted here, but "secrets" are "secret" for a reason, so do be weary of any site encouraging you to part with your BitTorrent Sync secrets, whatever the reason!

That's exactly why I put in a secret into that shortening service :).

I figured it would get me an extra sharer (on an empty folder), and at the very least I could see what the page was that he'd come up with. It looked like well explained instructions for setting up a Sync folder.

But ultimately, it's just a secret harvesting service, even if it would have been well intended. The initial post on it made me laugh when I read it given how obvious it was.