Read Only - after Full access secret key

When I first setup a sync between two computer folders I selected the secret key that was generated, not thinking my intentions through.

I then decided that it would be better if I made the target computer's folder R/O, so I went in and modified the secret key to the R/O key.

Because the source folder contains thousands of files, and gigabytes of data I don't think even half of it was transferred before I made this change.

So what state is my target file structure in? is it partially full access & R/O ? of did it flag everything R/O after my change?

So what state is my target file structure in? is it partially full access & R/O ? of did it flag everything R/O after my change?

A folder and all its contents will be considered "read-only" after you apply a read only secret to the folder. It should also be noted that once you've applied a read only secret to a folder, you can't then apply a full access secret again, without first removing the folder from Sync and then re-adding it again with the full-access secret

May I know what do you mean by "removing the folder from Sync"? I am facing a problem that after I have changed a full access secret to R/O, the files are no longer synced. Must I remove the folder and sync again?

You only need to remove the folder from BitTorrent Sync itself - you don't have to physically delete the folder from your drive, just remove it from BitTorrent Sync, and then re-add it again with your full-access secret

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar question.

I have set up a full access shared folder between an iMac and a Mac Pro containing my iPhoto library

It is in the process of syncing.

Actually I meant it to be read only on the Mac Pro to prevent the iMac library (the master copy) becoming corrupted by having changes applied back to it from the Mac Pro. (I will be scrupulous never to change anything on the Mac Pro.)

How do I change the Mac Pro folder to read only?

I was thinking of doing this.

waiting till the first sync had finished

removing the folder from the Mac Pro BTSync folder list

re-adding it using the read only secret from the iMac.

Presumably BTSync will scan it and realise that it is the same to start with and therefore not re-download the whole thing? And from then on any changes made on the Mac Pro will not be copied back to the iMac risking corrupting it?

Also a second question, is it ok to rename the folders on either or both machines or will this break the links? (I want to rename the Mac Pro folder BTSync read only or something to remind me)

thanks

Robin