Unusualy low transfer speed

BtbN

I'm currently doing the initial upload of ~20GB of data.

I got ~5Mbit/s upload, and i also made sure that btsync is directly connecting to the server i'm uploading to.

Sometimes i get the full 5Mbps, but most of the time it's only at ~0.5Mbps(50kbyte/s) or even less.

The 20GB are in some bigger files, some thousand photos(3-8MB each) and also a lot realy small text files. ~12k files in total.

What could be causing this slow transfer speed? The upload is gona take forever this way.

I'm using it on amd64 linux, both client and "server".

It's likely to be due, in part at least, to the size of the files - small files (<4MB) will tend to transfer slower than larger files (>4MB)... so if you've got several thousand tiny text files, BitTorrent Sync will be less efficient at transferring these compared to 8MB photos

Here'a part of the log(chopped the IDs): http://bpaste.net/sh...3rdSFZYVC3Syyb/

Contains a strange error, but also looks like it's uploading the images, one by one, and re-establishes a new connection each time.

Hmm... seems to be having a problem with the same 4 image files each time (DSCF0059.JPG, DSCF0058.JPG, DSCF0057.JPG, DSCF0054.JPG) - are these files currently open in any other applications?

No, i'm not touching any files in the synced dir. Souldn't be a problem on linux anyway, as there's no file locking like it is in Windows.

Edit: checked a little longer in the file, it's not always the same files that error, it progresses through the files, but it's always 3~5 which give that errors.

Ok. I just disabled the upload limit, which i set to 450kb/s to avoid it blocking the entire connection, and now it's uploading at full speed.

If i re-enable the limit, it starts going much much slower than the limit actualy is, but it's realy jumpy then, sometimes using the limit, sometimes just using 20kb/s.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I just disabled the upload limit, which i set to 450kb/s to avoid it blocking the entire connection, and now it's uploading at full speed.

If i re-enable the limit, it starts going much much slower than the limit actualy is, but it's realy jumpy then, sometimes using the limit, sometimes just using 20kb/s.

I have the same problem. The upload rate is erratic and does not use up to the max speed. Yet when off runs with no problem . IE. I have mine set to 400 upload and im only getting 210. But when off get 800.