How to ignore files that start with a ~?

I don't believe at present you can do "beginning with" matches in .SyncIgnore - it would be great if you could do full REGEX matches in .SyncIgnore, but at present, only the "?" and "*" wildcards are available (in REGEX syntax, matching files that start with a "~" would simply be "^~" (no quotes))

I didn't receive an answer so I tried "~*" (without the surrounding quotes) in all .SyncIgnore files. Seems to work.

Didn't you want to specifically exclude files that STARTED with a "~"?

"~*" would theoretically only filter files CONTAINING a "~", (rather than only filtering just those files actually starting with a "~") i.e. it would match both the following examples:

~somefile.dat

some~file.dat

Ignore lists generally work this way - including BTSync :

If there is a path separator ('/' or '\') in the line, it's matched against the relative path of the file.

Otherwise one line means only a filename.

So:

somefile.dat matches somefile.dat in every directory

~* matches ~somefile.dat

*$ matches somefile.dat$

dir/~* matches dir/~somefile.dat and asd/dir/~somefile.dat but not other/~somefile.dat

and the same strictly to the current root: /dir/~*

I don't believe at present you can do "beginning with" matches in .SyncIgnore - it would be great if you could do full REGEX matches in .SyncIgnore, but at present, only the "?" and "*" wildcards are available (in REGEX syntax, matching files that start with a "~" would simply be "^~" (no quotes))

Hm, please have a look at the default entries in .SyncIgnore. What does "._*" (without quotes) mean then? Especially the * at the end would be quit confusing then. "._" would be enough then.