Problem using BTSync AND Dropbox

The problem that I am having is that I am syncing files across my three computers, and one of those computers is keeping the same directory up to date with dropbox, so that I can access my files where ever I am. But it is pegging out my processor because the .SyncID file syncs over and over again in Dropbox. I know that this is really a problem with dropbox because you can't tell it to ignore certain file.

But can the .syncid file be placed outside of the folder that is being synced?

You could place all your files in a subdirectory and sync that using dropbox. ie:

\Users\spikefire\Sync

\Users\spikefire\Sync\.SyncId

\Users\spikefire\Sync\.SyncIgnore

\Users\spikefire\Sync\MyFiles\File1.txt

\Users\spikefire\Sync\MyFiles\File2.txt

\Users\spikefire\Sync is synced using BTSync

\Users\spikefire\Sync\MyFiles\ is synced using DropBox.

JKells: Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.

GreatMarko: Thanks for the info and the link.

Lightning: It's a core2 duo desktop. While it's doing it the explorer process it hitting about 32% and dropbox process is doing about 55%. Add that to my other normal processes and it pegged @ 100%.

I'm cheap and only have systems that I've pieced together from free parts from my recycle bin at work.

If you're using Windows you can try junction points (mklink /J name target) for the same effect.

Actually, even BTSync synchronizes them because it can only recognize unix symlinks but not windows symlinks.

Edit: It appears Dropbox takes more resources when syncing a folder with a SyncID file, but it's still low.

It's probably because both apps are checking the lock on the file.