Unknown syncing files?

Dickel

Setup:

Desktop W7 cable to router - LAN and wireless

Notebook W7 wireless

Tablet W8 wireless

Desktop and Notebook already synced a couple of days ago. Added Tablet and currently in the process of syncing. I notice that the syncing (downloading new files to the Tablet) appears to be exclusively between the Notebook and the Tablet - there doesn't appear to be any exchanges directly between the Desktop and the Tablet. I was expecting the syncing to occur simultaneously and directly from both the Desktop and the Notebook to the Tablet.

Every few seconds the Desktop "Transfers" window shows two unknown files being transferred to the Notebook:

~WRL004.tmp and

imtF301.tmp

Are these BT Sync 'system' files as I don't have any such files anywhere on the machines.

No, these are not BitTorrent Sync system files - please check none of the files in the folder you're syncing are open in their respective applications. Some applications create temporary "working" (or backup) copies of files whilst they are open/being edited, which is likely what these temporary files are that you're seeing!

It's probably worth excluding .tmp files by adding ".tmp" to your .SyncIgnore files to prevent these temporary files syncing between your devices

I spoke too soon! They're back. I've tried adding ".tmp" to .SyncIgnore but that doesn't stop them either. The application itself is NOT running. Could it be that there is a 'service' running which checks that folder every few seconds? They don't seem to be causing any problems but I am curious.

Remember you need to add ".tmp" to the .SyncIgnore file on EVERY device for the folder you're syncing, and then restart BitTorrent Sync on your devices for changes to .SyncIgnore to take affect.

This won't prevent whatever other application/service is creating these temporary files from doing so, but it then should prevent them from syncing between your devices.

I think I've nailed it. The ".tmp" files were in fact ".tmp.!sync" files. Once I located and deleted these, the problem ceased.

Another one that kept popping up was a ".ldb" file, which is a MSAccess "lock database" file. This file kept popping up even though Access (and ALL other apps) were not running. I couldn't solve that one so I moved that sub-folder out of the sync folder.