All BTS traffic and indexing hang on full disk

I have a very large and somewhat complex BTS network, with up to 8 computers involved in various separate locations and a dozen separate sync folders, with up to 100GB and 10000 files. Some are read-only on certain nodes, not all nodes have all folders, etc. All are on broadband connections but some of the systems are a bit old and slow.

Anyway, on one of the systems, one of the hard drives used for one of the shared folders filled up. Obviously that node stopped taking in any more files.

However, as far as I can tell, my **entire BTS network** locked up. Everything stopped indexing and all update traffic stopped, even between other systems with plenty of room on their hard drives.

As soon as I discovered the problem and moved things around to make room on the full drive, everything across the network started working again. But this seems like a pretty serious weakness, especially considering the direct cause: the new versioning file copies found in .SyncTrash. For some reason almost everything was copied in there, taking up twice as much space and filling up the drives way beyond what we expected. I had to go around and empty them all.

1. BTS needs to be able to work around one node that has problems, and let other nodes continue to update.

2. There needs to be the option to turn off versioning, or better yet, to use the Recycle Bin (on Windows) instead of the special .SyncTrash folder. That way older files in the Bin can be automatically eliminated when the hard drive fills up.

I am using the newest version, 1.1.22, on all nodes.

If you read the "Known Issues" section of the User Guide, "BitTorrent Sync may handle events incorrectly in the following cases ... no free disk space"

...so your issue is known about, as it likely listed as a "known issue" because there's not an easy fix for this at present.

As for "turning off versioning", currently the only real option is to turn off the "Delete files to Sync trash" setting for each of your folders. I do agree though that better control over both versioning and SyncTrash is required, and I'm sure given time this will come! (the ability to schedule automatic cleanups of trash and/or have a button to quickly empty trash have been suggested a number of times now, so the devs are aware of these desires!) :)

I certainly understand that a given instance of BTS is going to behave oddly if its local hard disk is full. That's just common sense.

My complaint is that a full hard drive on one node causes BTS on a completely different node to ALSO behave oddly, involving shares with third nodes that also don't have any immediate hard drive problems. That's what I'm not sure was covered in the "known issues."