Sync keeps re-downloading completed/existing files

donjon

Hi guys! First off a very big thank you to the dev team for this wonderful piece of software. To begin with, here's my setup:

i'ts a computer rental shop 20 units all running xp and with Deepfreeze for kiosk-like operation. Installed the latest stable version of Sync. Pls note that Sync is installed on a Thawed partition as well as the Shared folder. The folder as of now contains only 4 files (rar archives) -2 files at 1GB each and one approx 2.9GB and one small executable file. Everything synced in about 15mins including installation and setup of all the units. The first problem I observed is that it significantly impacts the LAN performance. Ping between workstations when sync is happening jumps up to 100-200ms. It affects gaming. This behavior is understandable but my real problem is after restarting every unit, it will try to index and redownload all the files. Hope somebody has a similar setup and can offer insight. thanks

The first problem I observed is that it significantly impacts the LAN performance. Ping between workstations when sync is happening jumps up to 100-200ms. It affects gaming.

In terms of "Pings", given all your devices are on the same local LAN, then disable the Relay, Tracker, and DHT options in Sync. Also, disabling the "Search LAN" will greatly reduce the amount of "Pings" on your local network.

In terms of traffic/bandwidth, change the advanced "rate_limit_local_peers" setting to "true", and you could also limit the upload/download rates.

This behavior is understandable but my real problem is after restarting every unit, it will try to index and redownload all the files.

Check that the system clocks on all your devices are correct. If all 20 devices already have the correct time, the next thing to do (without Sync running on any device), is locate and delete any .!Sync files (partial transfers) across all devices, then restart BitTorrent Sync on all your devices

So, basically you're saying that you're sending 98GB of data within 15 minutes.

Which means that you're transferring at an average slowest-case speed of 112mBps between everything and everywhere,

I'd wonder if maybe your switch isn't quite up to the task.

As GreatMarko says, try limiting your speeds and see what happens. A small reduction in speed can make for a dramatic improvement in bandwidth.

I haven't actually seen this behaviour on a switch before. At least, I've never seen a switch manage to accept enough punishment to destroy latency (not counting an ethernet over power bridge which decided it did not agree with my usenet habits) but it certainly seems feasible.