My own supernodes?

jhob

It would seem logical to be able to have private always-on servers which do not have access to the synced files in decrypted form. Something like the nodes Bittorrent Sync uses to connect machines behind NATs, but at the same time caching content.

Using services like Backupsy as such supernodes would then not automatically bare the files to that service.

This would require another type of key, a key that lets a node find and store encrypted file fragments belonging to a particular "account" (master key, really), without being able to decrypt the files.

Are there any plans for something like this?

If you use Windows you could use this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stefanstools/files/CryptSync/

It will take the contents of a folder and zip them using a passphrase you specify into another folder. The idea is you then sync the encrypted files (in the folder) to the web server etc.

This only works if all the end points are using Windows (the node can be anything I would say) and ofcourse I only offer this option as something to use until the developers make a better option.

Truecrypt has the problem that it's a container based system and BTSync won't be able to sync the container when it's open.

This will mean that it will have a serious problem if the container is changed on two machines; one or the other will have to win it can't sync at the file level.

Another issue will be that you can't reasonably use SynchTrash (now SynchArchive) because it'll only have whole copies of the container, not small files.