New server, resyncing question

Tel

1st, im aware it beta, so we have good backups (just thought I mention this !!)

Customer is currently syncing a folder from a 2003 server to 4 remote laptops. currently it holds around 10Gb. In the next few weeks I will install a 2008R2 server

When I recreate the new shared/ sync folder can I use the same ID thats in the hidden file? The server name and folder structure will be the same.

If I have to create a new ID, will the remote laptop have to download the files again although they already have a copy in the folder from the prior BTS system?

Bascially i'm asking... Is there a best method for moving the initial shared folder to another location while maintaining any existing remote links

thanks

terry

I'd recommend "syncing" the new location in read-write mode from the first server, this way it becomes part of the sync network and no other device is effected by the new server.

Simply moving the files may be a problem, as some meta-data is kept outside of the sync directory, as far as I know, but I might be wrong.

That's a good idea, capi.

Also in past versions you had the problem that the last peer added (in that case your server) will be regarded as having the newest version of every file, thus overwriting changed files on other peers. I'm not sure if that has been fixed yet.