Why is it slower than a LAN file copy?

moeburn

I wanted to use BTSync to copy 40GB of files from my laptop to my PC, and I was hoping it would at least be a little faster than just using the Windows Samba file sharing protocol. But it is copying at 500kB/s, which is my WAN/Internet download speed. Is BTSync going through the WAN? I thought it was set up to automatically use LAN peers first?

Because if I use the Samba protocol, I can copy files using the Wifi network at about 5mB/s. But using BTSync, I get 10% of that. What is going on here?

Check the devices tab in the main window. The icons there reflect the connection type.

Okay, it lists my computer's device name, with a black-and-white icon of two arrows pointing left and right. Not sure if that means its a direct LAN connection or if it is going through the WAN.

okva.jpg

I also just now tried turning off "lan_encrypt_data" and "disk_low_priority", but no difference. I am monitoring the speed using BTSync's built in transfer speed monitor, as well as the Windows Performance Monitor, and it is so slow it's sad. It appears to be reaching the hard limit of my DSL connection's speed, but why wouldn't it just transfer the files straight across the LAN?

What options do you have enabled on the folder for peer discovery?

At first, I used the default settings, whatever they were. I then tried unchecking everything but "Search LAN" and "Delete files to sync trash", but that didn't seem to make a difference. I think the default settings also checked "Use relay server when required" and "use tracker server" and "search DHT network".

Try disabling "Use relay server when required" and restarting sync on all machines involved.

Yup, already had that disabled, but what I didn't try doing was restarting the sync server on the Linux machine (duh, of course! sometimes the simplest things break everything and make me feel like an idiot)

Now after I restarted it, I'm getting download speeds of 5mB/s, exactly what I should be getting! Yaaaay! Thank you for your help and time!

You guys might want to add one of those "Some settings may require a restart to be applied" warning messages or something for the final version, though.