0% success so far

theironknuckle

I've got two windows 7 laptops and an ubuntu 12.10 box. 

The ubuntu box is directly connected via crossover cable to one of the laptops, it has no wireless access.

The ubuntu box reports running version 1.1.70 ( up to date ).

The windows laptops report running version 1.1.74

I've tried to share my music folder between the laptop and ubuntubox that have a direct connection, but nothing happens. The ubuntu box reports /Backup/My Music 0 B in 0 files while the windows laptop reports 85.8 GB in 13094 files.

After this I tried to make a test folder on both my laptops and the ubuntu box. Inside the ubuntu version I created a text file, 26 Bytes. For the version of the folder which is on the laptop, I created a different textfile, 8 bytes. On the third laptop I created the test folder with nothing in it at all.

I've assigned the correct secret to all of the folders, so I would expect the two text files to show up on all the computers in the right folders. Unfortunately not.

I also note that my university (where I live) blocks torrents/whatever protocol torrents run on. Assuming the same protocol is being used by this syncing app, and also assuming that the torrent block is occuring at the level of the router which they are both connecting to, this might be what is preventing the two laptops from syncing. HOWEVER that doesn't explain why the ubuntu box can't sync with my laptop as it is a direct point to point connection.

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

The issue is likely related to the connection method of your Ubuntu box - i.e. "directly using a cross-over cable".

Given this connection method, it's possible that your Ubuntu box is expecting an IP address to be assigned by a DHCP server (which won't be found when connecting to another device using a cross-over cable)

Ensure that your Ubuntu box has a valid IP in the same range as your other device.

You may also need to use the "Pre-defined hosts" settings in Sync to ensure that each device knows the IP address of the other