Multiple Local Copy Use Case

btsyncfof

So it seems that currently, it's not possible to have two local folders correspond to the same shared secret.  Why might I want to do that?  Backups.

I have an always on desktop with two external HDs attached.  I would like a read-only copy of certain folders to be sync'd to both external HDs.

MyLaptop/home <- (source)

MyDesktop/MyHD1/ <- (backup)

MyDesktop/MyHD2/ <- (second backup)

However, if I point BTSync at MyHD1 and pass it a read-only secret, it will then prohibit me from adding MyHD2 with the same secret.  I'm planning on purchasing a raspberry pi and setting it up as another always-on server, but I'm just wondering if it's on the roadmap to support a feature within BTSync that will make this setup possible, or whether this is considered out of scope for BTSync.

Thanks! 

Maybe it's not primary use case and other more effective solutions exit. But it looks like very artificial limitation.

It's very likely developers can solve this task with limited efforts.

It's to do with the way the protocol works - the protocol (essentially a variant of the BitTorrent Protocol) isn't designed for copying files "locally" between different locations on the same device. In order for the functionality you desire to be added, either a new/different protocol would be required, or in order to achieve such functionality, files would have to be "copied off" your device to a remote device and then back again to a new location on your first device - not very efficient!!

So please do remember that Sync is first and foremost a synchronization tool to keep files/folders in synch between multiple devices. It's purpose is not as a "backup tool" allowing you to backup from one part of your device to another - there are plenty of other tools available if that's what you're after.