what happens when btsync can reach a host from two different IP

erenoglu

I have a vps and it's running openvpn. My home router is connected to it and all the computers in my home network can reach the vps from its internal openvpn ip 192.168.10.1

I've setup btsync on the vps and it's listening on all interfaces, including its normal wan interface and the openvpn interface (192.168.10.1).

When a PC in my home network tries to sync with the vps, it has two route options. Either to connect from the openvpn intrernal ip (192.168.10.1) or the usual wan ip of the vps.

Which route does it choose and how?

I have seen both IP's appearing (192.168.10.1 and the wan IP) briefly in the webUI before it converts to the btsync hostname. Now I do not know if it's using the openvpn ip to reach vps or its wan address.

The direct connection to the wan ip of vps is definitely faster.

It depends, if btsync discovers the VPS as a LAN client - which btsync determines with multicast messages, see the documentation on peer discovery http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/technology. If your openvpn is configured as a bridge and multicast messages, such as mdnsresponder etc come through and vice versa, then it should use the LAN IP. The sync.log should show the connecting IPs and I think they should be visible even without debugging.

Thanks for the hint. I checked and it seems it's using the wan IP. But that may be the case since I added this host specifically to the folder configuration. There are some uploads going on, when they finish, I'll try removing it and observe the behavior.

I'm not much worried about the multicast, but rather "use tracker" method. I wonder which IP's it registers to the tracker...