Using Central Server And Peers, That Ok?

amityweb

I'm coming from Dropbox, which syncs with a central server. I have a few people all syncing. I understand the concept of syncing with a central server. 

Now we use Bittorrent, I setup a folder on our office server, then we all added the secret key. We are all now downloading from each other at the same time. So I get that now its Bittorrent.

But my question is, I dont suppose there is any issue still using the server is there? The thing is, lets say two of use never have our computers on we still want to sync, so will sync with the server which is always on. If we always had computers on the same time there is no need for the server but we dont. 

Its just because I can see downloads happening from all the computers the same time, I wondered if that causes issues. 

Just want to make sure our setup is OK. Its only so we can all get the latest files synced to our own computers even when all the other users computers are off (but server is on). 

Thanks

Oh something else too... when I look at my uploads I am uploading to several computers. Does that mean I am uploading several times the files/bandwidth? Because Ideally I want to upload once. Hence the concept of a central server, I am concerned I am uploading the same files to several machines. 

Edited by amityweb

Just want to make sure our setup is OK. Its only so we can all get the latest files synced to our own computers even when all the other users computers are off (but server is on). 

Yes - there is no problem with this setup, provided your server is online and running Sync

Oh something else too... when I look at my uploads I am uploading to several computers. Does that mean I am uploading several times the files/bandwidth? Because Ideally I want to upload once. Hence the concept of a central server, I am concerned I am uploading the same files to several machines. 

No - In order to receive large files faster, Sync will attempt to obtain different data "chunks" of the same file from different peers - so you're not necessarily uploading the same file multiple times to different peers - just "chunks" of it to other peers who will in turn "share" those chunks with other receiving peers to speed up overall dissemination of the file