Folder Secret

DediN

No, you can also manually create them yourself!

Just make sure your secrets start with an "A" for a full-access folder, or a "B" for a read-only folder.

Also, avoid websites that claim to generate "secrets" for you - they are scam sites, and not endorsed in any way by BitTorrent Inc

Doesn't the new keys start with "D" for full access, "E" for read-only and "F" for encrytped? I would love to know how it is generated.

Doesn't the new keys start with "D" for full access, "E" for read-only and "F" for encrytped? I would love to know how it is generated.

There have been a number of changes to the format/length Secrets during the alpha/beta phases, therefore, to maintain a degree of backwards compatibility, other "variations" may still be valid (For example, before "read-only" functionality was introduced, Secrets could start with any letter - and these secrets are still valid now!). Also, when "read-only" secrets were first introduced, they started with an "R" - and they are still valid too!

However, the current convention - in the latest Beta builds - generated "full access" secrets start with an "A", generated "read only" secrets starts with a "B", generated "one time" secrets start with a "C"

I have tried to create the folder secrets with apg in Debian but the only time Btsync appears to start without crashing is when the secrets are generated from within the Btsync program.

Can anyone see any reason why this would not work?

touch /home/user/btsync/secretprintf "A" >> /home/user/btsync/secretapg -a 1 -M nc -n 1 -m 32 -E GHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ >> /home/user/btsync/secret
Edited by DediN

Its appears that the secret cannot contain any 9 numbers if it does btsync will not start.

That's really strange - but I concur!!

I've just manually modified an existing secret (that didn't previously contain a 9 to now contain a "9"), and as soon as I did, Sync crashed!! (1.2.82 / Win 7 64-bit)

Restarting Sync then produces an "Error: Don't have permission to write to the selected folder" for that folder (even though it retains the original secret before I changed it to include the "9") - very strange!!

I've reported this to the devs