Do Read-Only Nodes Send Data To Other Nodes

frater

Do read-only nodes send data to other nodes? If not, why?

At first glance one would assume no, because these files can be deleted or changed.

In normal use all the read-only nodes have the same structure and content. To speed up distribution they could send all the data that it knows is in sync.

I hope the answer "yes".

Does the 4 MB chunks apply here as well or do these files have to be completely in sync?

Cheers

4MB chunks? As far as I can tell the pieces (proper bittorrent lingo) are dynamically sized, it makes no sense to use 4MB pieces for 1MB files.

Ofcourse read-only nodes seed to other nodes, if not the whole point of the software would be gone. How they prevent read-only nodes from tampering with the share is yet to be explored.

Yes, read-only nodes can transfer data between them.

The same rules with "4MB chunks" apply to read-only nodes as they do full-access nodes i.e. small files are transferred in their entirety, larger files are transferred in 4MB chunks. For more information, please see the "When a file changes, does BitTorrent Sync transfer the entire file again, or just the part that's changed?" entry in the Unofficial FAQ