.syncignore Clarification

nmccloud

I'm trying this out as a way of backing up my father-in-law's music, photos, email etc and so a sync is set for his directory on his Windows 7 box for c:\Users\David

To stop all the temp files getting to me, the .SyncIgnore has the following added to it:

AppData\Local\Temp\*
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\*
AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\*
AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations\*
AppData\LocalLow\*
AppData\Roaming\*

Whilst I don't appear to be receiving any actual Temporary Internet Files, the folder is populated with empty sub folders - which seems a waste of even the most tiny bit of bandwidth to create them if they aren't going to have anything in them.

The same goes for the Temp folder - lots of empty sub-folders.

Is this normal? What have I missed to stop me getting files & folders I don't want to sync?

I have searched the forum & read the official and the unofficial FAQ. Quite happy to test and document this very important feature for the benefit of all but could do with some guidance with the formatting of the .SyncIgnore which isn't overly clear as to whether things should be:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\*

or

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

or

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

or

c:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files with the other endings of \ and \* as well

Thanks,

Nick

Found the bit about ? instead of spaces. Made sure both ends have the same thing (it's a one way sync so I'm not sure how necessary it is). Will go out for supper and see what I've ended up with when I get back!

I'm new to BTSync and have noticed the same behaviour of empty folders and don't find the use of the .Syncignore file all that user friendly, would like to see more detailed examples for its use.

I would like to hope that as this great software develops, it could be made so much easier to ignore files & folders from within the UI during sync setup.

Apart from that, it's working well with my Synology DS and my PC & Mac.