Syncing Files That Change Frequently

hoss.2608

I am syncing windows 7 users directories between two machines including outlook email files, these files change every time an email arrives and cause sync to archive the old file and make a new one making the .syncarchive folder bloat

Is it possible to set the archive sync_trash_ttl for individual files/folders - i dont mind 30 days for stuff that doesnt change often.

Thanks

Phil.

Is it possible to set the archive sync_trash_ttl for individual files/folders - i dont mind 30 days for stuff that doesnt change often.

No, "sync_trash_ttl" is a global setting, however, you can turn off SyncArchive completely on a per-folder basis (via the "Store deleted files in SyncArchive" folder option)

Thanks 

Can the folder i ignore be in a higher level folder that is synced ?

ie.

I want to sync d:\Users and the outlook files are in d:\Users\name\documents\outlookfiles

Do you really mean a "higher level", or a "lower level"?

If you mean a "higher level" than the folder you're syncing (i.e. D:\ is a higher level than D:\Users), Sync won't sync that folder anyway! Sync will only sync the folder you select and lower (sub) folders.

If you mean a "lower level" in the folder you're syncing (i.e. D:\Users\John is a lower level than D:\Users), then yes, you can use exclusion rules in your .SyncIgnore file to exclude certain files/folders from syncing.

Doh, i meant lower level

So....

At the top level directory that is syncing i can put in the outlook directories that i dont want to sync and then for those i can have a separate folder sync entry and change the settings to not "Store deleted files in syncarchive"

Thanks, sync is really quite cool.

Phil.

PS do i quote folder names with spaces e.g. "Outlook FIles"

Thanks again

Thanks for this tip.  I sync Thunderbird profile between an Mac and a Ubuntu laptop. The folder is about 4.6GB, but after a couple fo weeks the corresponding SyncArchive had grown to 21GB (!) and the Ubuntu partition ran out of space. It was Thunderbird's error message "Inbox is full, cannot retrieve new mail" that led me to investigate deeper.

• 3 months later...

No, "sync_trash_ttl" is a global setting, however, you can turn off SyncArchive completely on a per-folder basis (via the "Store deleted files in SyncArchive" folder option)

I see the "Store deleted files in SyncArchive" folder option on the Desktop version but not on Android app. Is it not supported for the mobile devices?

• 2 weeks later...